Thursday, April 23, 2009

Picacho Peak Hike

climb to the summit of picacho peak at picacho peak state park. the hunter trail is a difficult 2.0 mile trail to the summit that begins on the north side from barrett loop and goes to the top of the peak. the trail climbs a resistant path typical of the sonoran desert. the route is steep and twisting, with steel cables (gloves are recommended) anchored into the rock in places where the surface is bare.
we started our excursion by setting up our tent and cooking dinner.


thanks for the foil dinners jaymack! they were quite tasty!

camp fire games and songs kept us up way past my bed time – which i was dreading by the way…the ground was so rocky and hard!

rise and shine! let’s get this party started!


our first encounter with the above mentioned cables – not too difficult yet…


we took quite a few breaks on our way to the top – for which I was grateful!

our beautiful yw in the glendale az stake.

more cables.

about half way to the top. what a view!

more cables!



the view of the parking lot from the top.


our group on the peak of the peak.


me and my fav girl!

more cables!!!

to celebrate making it back down the mountain, the girls wanted to play on the swings before heading home.


thanks for an awesome time kayla! you rock!

6 comments:

Diana said...

WOW! You guys are amazing for doing that! Hopefully it wasn't too hot yet!

Molly said...

That looks intense! I love your hat, by the way!

Emily said...

what a hike! you are a lot tougher than I am. (but I am craving a foil dinner now! yumm!)

Jessica said...

That looked crazy! Looks fun though!
I love your hat too!

Sare said...

7DAYS?!!!?!?!?!?! OH MY SAKE!!! CONGRATS!!!!! I'm SO Excited for you guys!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yippie, you made it!!! wanna go again? huh, bring gloves? huh...let's go!! I'm on it!!!